Old 10-03-2005, 11:38 PM
tomato lover

Hi SKYlark,

Thanks for your advice.
Is it okay to plant them in plastic containers. I am going to plant
each one in one container. how big sould be the container.

Thanks.

SKYlark wrote:
take it from me, PLEASE!!!! if you're gonna plant regular sized

tomato
plants, ONLY ONE TO THE BOX!!!!!; if you['re gonna plant cherry

tomatoes
(grape, romano..whatever, the smaller sized tomatoes) ONLY TWO TO A

BOX!! i
hope you're going to get those boxes with the wicks which

"self-water"
themselves....for a few days, anyway from gardens alive!

if you DO plant more than that, you will run out of soil and the

tomatoes
will be prone to more diseases than usual.

imho, you should start with PLANTS, not seeds. seed starting is for

us
northern folk who hope to have red and/or edible tomatoes by

september!!
i'm in usda zone 4a, myself and i've learned A LOT of green mater

recipes!!!
;o)

don't fertilise too often AND VERY IMPORTANTLY!!!! if you smoke or

have
friends who smoke, MAKE SURE YOU WASH YOUR HANDS BEFORE YOU TOUCH THE

TOMATO
PLANTS!!!!!!!!!!!

From: "tomato lover"
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: 10 Mar 2005 12:47:29 -0800
Subject: Help to pick 3 tomatoes in container

Greeting to all tomato growers.

I have a good balcony, in Northern California, pretty good

sunlight. I
am going to grow some tomatoes and herbs in container.

AND I NEED YOUR HELP!

1) I am limited to Maximum 5 Gallon containers.

2) I am planning to plant several types, but I rellay love the real
tomato flavor, not too sweet, a little acidic and tangy falvor. and

need your help to choose the varieties. high yeild is very

desirable.

3) what varieties should I choose to have tomatoes from early to

late
season.

4) Is it late to start now? should I buy plants or seeds?

5) Can I also grow herbs in the same containers? what kind?

6) is plastic container OK?

A bunch of thanks in advance.

Tomato Lover.