Old 10-03-2005, 11:48 PM
Elaine T

Elaine T wrote:
Wylie Wilde wrote:

Hello,

I just moved into a tropical bungalow which has a shallow indoor pond.
Its new but hasn't been used for several years. I switched it on over
the weekend and its seems ok. But the water flow is dead slow at the
end of the pond. And I'm worried about it breeding mossies. there
might also be some problem with it. I'm hoping that some of you here
who are more knowledgable about it can help me and offer some
constructive advice.

(I can't ask the previous owner; he moved off in a hurry overseas)

But first some info... Its large - measuring 14 feet by 14 feet. But
the depth is shallow- and measures an average of only a few inches.

Its flanked on both ends by two drains where the pumps and outlet
pipes sit (inside). The two pumps and what appears to be a drain value
are on one end; the outlet nozzles and pipes are on the opposite
drain- which is on slightly higher ground.

When I checked it out, the drains were still full of old water. I
filled the pond full of water then turned on the pumps. One section
worked. The other section didn't; its pipes are embedded into the
concrete and I assumed join the 2nd filter pump.

So I had water nicely flowing on the left side of the pond. Whilst the
right side was slightly stagnant. Concrete paving steps line the
middle section of the pond and prevent the working side from helping
out the non-working section.

To cut a long story short, the problem is that the pond is too shallow
on one end. The flow of water is not vigourous or flowing in 60% of
the pond and in certain section - the water is dead still.

Whats the best way to prevent mossies from breeding in the stagnant
parts of the pond. Even if I stop the pumps, the water still sits in
the drains and does not go away.

Much obliged for your kind comments.

Sounds like perfect water for some of the tropical killifish species.
They are perfectly happy with slow moving or even still water and will
wriggle into quite shallow water to nab a tasty larvae.

There's some real killifish experts in rec.aquaria who might suggest
species and where to get eggs. Male killifish are brightly colored too.

Whoops. Rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc I never did get used to the split.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__