Old 11-03-2005, 12:48 PM
J Fortuna

I think that African Violets need only the proper brightness, but I think
the orchids are a bit more picky and it's not just the brightness, but the
amount of the spectrum covered by the light that is important (thus, for
fluorescents one needs both the warm and the cool).

If you search Google Groups for "lighting rec.gardens.orchids" you will find
a post by Claude entitled "Question about lighting !" in January 2004 on
this group. One of the response to it explains the cool and warm lights and
the wattage needed. If you can't find the post, let me know and I will copy
a section from the reply here.

Best,
Joanna

"Maggie's Mom" wrote in message

"J Fortuna" wrote
could try an AgroSun
Dayspot 150 Watt incendescent light

So it is OK to use artificial light. Wonderful. I think I will do some
research on the fluorescents that are just a tad bigger than a regular

light
bulb. I know that they come in different wattage, and different

brightness -
do you think that one that gives off same brightness as incandescent 150
watts will be OK? It takes only 33 watts, and it is plenty bright.

On the other hand, I have already assembled enough material to build a
lighted shelf, in fact it will be a 3-shelf module with 4 foot

fluorescents
mounted over every shelf. I just wasn't sure that orchids would tolerate
artificial lighting. I know African violets thrive in artificial light,

all
they need is proper brightness.

Thank you all for your advice!