Old 11-03-2005, 12:47 PM
Jo

"Susan Hogarth" wrote in message
m...
Anne Lurie wrote:

Don,

I realize that some dogs will go after anything, but if you make sure

your
compost has only vegetative matter (no meat scraps, no dairy), they

should
not be rooting through it. Now, rolling in compost is another matter!

You've never had a beagle, have you? My male beag -prefers- fruits to

meat!
He can't be bothered to get his lazy old butt off the couch for a

biscuit
(he'll consent to eat it if you deliver it) and just looks mildly
interested if you are eating something meaty, but bite into an apple and

he
is there jumping all over you and *trembling* with desire. He can't hear

me
calling him at the top of my voice from 3 feet away, but crack a banana

off
the bunch in the kitchen and he's there from the living room like a

shot!
If I want an apple for breakfast I have to sneak it out of the house to

eat
in peace.

In the summer the beags will get into the neighbor's tomatoes and eat

them
off the vine. (oops) In the spring we can't walk on campus without a
careful leash because Ed gorges himself on mulberries and tries to eat
underripe peaches.

I have seen my *collie-thing* pick blackberries off the bush! He also

picks
pears off the tree, but less to eat than to be helpful, we think, since

he
just drops them. I guess the beags have him brainwashed ;-) The male

beagle
has to be dragged away from under the apple and pear trees when they are
dropping fruit - he will eat as much as we allow him to.

--
Susan Hogarth |
What's so special about Annabelle?

My boxers too. They love veggies and fruit. When I make their food for
them I always put extra carrots and green beans in for them. They are
their favorites.
They also go after my vegetarian food.
I had always thought dogs were pure carnivores as well. I have seen dogs
who won't even touch meat.

Jo