Old 11-03-2005, 09:46 AM
Tim Challenger

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:27:21 +0000 (GMT), Jim Lesurf wrote:

Being fairly new to gardening I am starting my first ever "buy some packets
of seeds and try growing from seed" experience. :-)

I decided to buy a bigger variety of packets of seeds than I can probably
cope with first time around. (Decided it was better to have a choice to
hand than to find I wanted more.) This prompts two questions:

1) If I keep some packets unopened, will they still be OK next year, and
provide a germination rate similar to if I use them soon?

Most seeds keep for a couple of years at least. But it depends on the sort
of plants. There's usually a best-by or sow-by date on the packet, if not
I'd assume it'd be ok next year but with a little less germination rate.

2) Is it viable to open a packet and use *some* of the seeds, and somehow
reseal the packet and keep others for next year?

Of course.
Just fold the packets over so the seeds don't fall out and keep them
frost-free, and away from damp. I keep all my open packets in a shoebox in
the kitchen.

Or is this absurdly 'frugal' and unlikely to provide any useful seeds for
the next year? i.e. would either of the above be pretty pointless as a new
packet next year would only cost a pound or two, so trying to keep them
isn't worth the effort?

In each case, if practical, what would be the best storage conditions?
Would indoors in a sealed plastic bag be OK for opened packets? Include a
pack of silica gel?...

I don't think the silica is necessary unless you keep the opened seed
packets in a damp place.

--
Tim C.