Old 11-03-2005, 10:53 AM
Des Higgins

"VivienB" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 23:53:47 GMT, Jeff wrote:

Victoria Clare wrote:

She's growing on me - seems to know her stuff, but what a painful voice
that is to listen to. It's like she's gargled gravel.

Victoria

Not as bad as Gay Search - remember her?
God, her voice was painful!

What a picky lot you are! I am listening to *what* they are telling
me, so I can try to judge whether it is likely to be useful. So long
as they speak clearly, what does the timbre (or whatever it is you
object to) matter? I would much prefer either of these women telling
me something that I can use, to the decorative and pretty-voiced ones
going on about something valueless.

Regards, VivienB

I think it is like a "who was your favourite Doctor Who?" type argument.
We all have fond memories of particular eras and individuals and forget the
bad bits.
Geoff Hamilton was in place just as gardening went into super show business
mode in the mid 1990s and many people remember him as a cross between mother
Theresa and Indiana Jones. I certainly have fond memories of Gardeners
World from dem days but that is a mixture of Geoff's personality (warm,
comforting, knowledgeable) and the fact that I was not super-saturated with
TV garden makeoverology at the time. Everyone since Geoff will look cheap
and nasty, no matter who they are. I certainly do find many garden TV
people irritating but that is partly because the entire genre has become
irritating. Somewhere out there a producer is dreamimg up a
reality-TV-garden-makeover-save-the-children-pop-idol-aid program which will
be hosted by Ant and Dec.

Apart from all that, speaking purely subjectively and persoanally, Gay
search was one of the better presenters and I actually like Monty Don a lot
and Titchmarch is very very good but got over-exposed (as he probably
realises himself). Diarmuid Gavin is a bit of fun; I take great delight in
finding people who dislike him because he does not tell you how many ponds
per square foot of hoof and horn to use as a top dressing in late Spring for
boosting leeks. Rachel de Thame has a clear accent and is very eye-catching
but somehow Diarmuid standing in a huge muddy hole in the ground with three
hairy builders from sligo balancing a 19 tonne brass sphere is more
entertaining to me.

Des Higgins