Old 11-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Phil L

Jim Lesurf wrote:
:: Being fairly new to gardening I am starting my first ever "buy
:: some packets of seeds and try growing from seed" experience. :-)
::
:: I decided to buy a bigger variety of packets of seeds than I can
:: probably cope with first time around. (Decided it was better to
:: have a choice to hand than to find I wanted more.) This prompts
:: two questions:
::
:: 1) If I keep some packets unopened, will they still be OK next
:: year, and provide a germination rate similar to if I use them soon?
::
:: 2) Is it viable to open a packet and use *some* of the seeds, and
:: somehow reseal the packet and keep others for next year?
::
:: Or is this absurdly 'frugal' and unlikely to provide any useful
:: seeds for the next year? i.e. would either of the above be pretty
:: pointless as a new packet next year would only cost a pound or
:: two, so trying to keep them isn't worth the effort?
::
:: In each case, if practical, what would be the best storage
:: conditions? Would indoors in a sealed plastic bag be OK for opened
:: packets? Include a pack of silica gel?...
::
:: I don't have a greenhouse, or conservatory, etc. So can only grow
:: either by sowing directly outside, or by starting off with small
:: trays/pots in plastic bags on widowsills.

I've recently sown tomatoes, onions, sprouts, petunias and impatiens - all
these were from unopened packets which went out of date in 1999....it's more
of an experiment really, I just wanted to see if the seeds were still viable
after so long, if they don't grow then I can purchase seedlings like I did
last year, but I'm confidant that they will germinate.
They had been kept ina sealed biscuit tin on top of a kitchen cupboard for
at least 5 years and I have placed the unused seeds back into ther foil
inner packets and folded them over and put them in their respective paper
packets for next year, provided this lot grow.

I do have a greenhouse but not heated and so I'm in the same boat as you
with the window sills, which I've monitored and found to have fairly
constant temperatures of 64 - 76 deg F in an unheated room, perfect for most
of the seeds I have but a little too cold for tomatoes and chillis which are
on a heated window sill near a radiator...the main problem I m having (as
someone pointed out in another thread) is humidity - the compost keeps
drying out and needs to be misted over a couple of times per day...it was
fine with cling film over it until the seedlings popped up, they are now an
inch high (chillis from a pod and french marigolds from last years dried up
flowerheads)
I don't think it's 'absurdly frugal' at all...those who are selling the
seeds want you to purchase new ones every year...we'll see just how many 6
year old seeds germinate in the next week or two, and if they do, how many 7
year old ones germinate next year!

--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/