Old 11-03-2005, 03:08 PM
Stan The Man

In article , VivienB
wrote:

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 23:53:47 GMT, Jeff wrote:

Victoria Clare wrote:

She's growing on me - seems to know her stuff, but what a painful voice
that is to listen to. It's like she's gargled gravel.

Victoria

Not as bad as Gay Search - remember her?
God, her voice was painful!

What a picky lot you are! I am listening to *what* they are telling
me, so I can try to judge whether it is likely to be useful. So long
as they speak clearly, what does the timbre (or whatever it is you
object to) matter? I would much prefer either of these women telling
me something that I can use, to the decorative and pretty-voiced ones
going on about something valueless.

It matters to the BBC, and every other programme maker because
gardening programmes aren't Open University courses but
lifestyle/entertainment shows which, while educating some of us will
entertain others who may be less committed gardeners, casual viewers,
etc. So these days, someone who looks and sounds good will get the
presenting job over someone who may be more knowledgeable. Of the two
attributes, voice is more important than looks (I have been known to
sit in a darkened room to enjoy old recordings of Percy Thrower, whose
mellifluous tones will never be surpassed imho).

Here's my ratings - for Looks/Voice/Knowledge - of a selection of
gardening presenters:

Percy Thrower: 2/10/9
Alan Titchmarsh 8/8/8
Geoff Hamilton 8/7/9