Old 12-03-2005, 12:10 AM
David J Bockman

To my knowledge, Rhus typhina contains no Urishiol oil. I found this
explanation on the 'net very illuminating:

"All sumachs (sumacs) are members of the Anacardiaceae family, all of which
have some common links which are related poisons. However, toxicity varies
from very high to very low, the lowest, in which common sumac falls, is an
irritant only to hyper-sensitive individuals. Included in this family are
cashews, mangoes and pistachios which, in their marketed state are heavenly,
but in their raw state can cause severe allergic reactions. You see, the
toxin relationship varies with the treatment of the food item. In the genus
Rhus, the specific plants which are very toxic are Rhus radicans (poison
ivy), Rhus toxicodendron (poison oak) and Rhus vernix (poison sumac). The
most virulent is poison sumac; any contact with any part of the plant can
cause severe dermatitis. The degree of reaction to any of these toxins
varies with the exposure and the individual's sensitivity. Many persons
claim they are not allergic to these plants. Not true. These toxins are a
cumlative poison; eventually a threshhold is reached and a severe dermatitis
will result."

I am hypersensitive to Urishiol oil (for example, I've been hospitalized
several times as a child for exposure, before I learned to identify and stay
the hell away from it) and I have *never* had even mild skin irritation
working with Rhus typhina, aromatica, or trilobata. That's why I recommended
it for the intended space and why I (rather rudely, I apologize) made my
cheeky remark.

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message zjlYd.48$oa6.31@trnddc07
from "David J Bockman" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message MXfYd.34829$QQ3.4646@trnddc02
from "David J Bockman" contains these

words:

Rhus typhina 'Dissecta'

Many people get an allergic reaction from skin contact with rhus, so
it's perhaps not a good idea to plant one near a swimming pool.

Good point. No pruning the Rhus while swimming.

You missed the point :-) Just brushing their skin against rhus leaves
and stems will affect some people.

Janet