Old 12-03-2005, 07:53 AM
Wylie Wilde

Hello Roy,

The pond is just a sunked concrete floor in the middle of a big bungalow.
This is what i Gathered so far from my study of the place. Originally, the
pond acted as an indoor concrete garden many years ago. The roof was open
and the area shut off with glass panels, and sliding doors when it rained.
The plants were placed in pots inside this atrium.

The owner then fitted in a skylight which prevented the rain from coming in.

Then he dug two drains into the ground and had it elevated so that one side
is tilted to allow for the water flow. The side that is lower - houses a
drain which sits two pumps. Lets call it Position B.

The depth of the pond is an average depth of 5 inches. 12 inches at best in
the deeper end. It is also covered with river rocks which so there's not
much average "swimming space".

I'm not sure where the leak is coming from - and I don't have the money to
go digging up the concrete flooring.

But at the moment - despite the leak, the water levels remain constant
enough to enable a water flow and cycle. There is no need to top up the
water level. But its very low at Position B,

The leak only seems to happen when I try to raise the water level to the 5
inch mark.

I suspect it comes from the big concrete urn looking thing which is stuck
near the middle of the pond. Its emplaced into the concrete ground.

As mentioned I don't have the money yet to got digging or drilling into the
concrete floor.

I will be hiring a local interior pond technician to check the place out.
And am saving money for that event.

Thanks.

Wilde.

"~Roy~" wrote in message
I certainly would not place any detergents, chlorine etc into it as a
means of preventing mossies. If it was mine, I would drain it, and
clean it thouroughly, find the leak, fix it, and take stock of what is
actually in the tank in regards to filter, pump etc. If its in the
house and built in the floor, that leaking water is going somewhere
and probably not doing whatever its getting to any good. You never
gave a dimension on the ponds actual depth.

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:37:02 +0800, "Wylie Wilde"
wrote:

===Keeping tropical fish does seem an attractive and relatively
inexpensive
===proposition.
===
===However, as mentioned, the pond is very shallow, being only a few
inches
===high during operation and is furthermore covered and saturated with
river
===rocks. They serve to cover the bare concrete floor.
===
===There also appears to be a leak somewhere which prevents us from
keeping 80%
===of the water in the pond. You can try filling it up to 100% but you
need to
===keep pouring it on.
===
===Having said that, the remaining 20% of water stays there in a
comfortable
===state and does not drain away. The pumps being underwater appear to
be
===working and operating even in such circumstances.
===
===I'm trying to locate the leak at the present, but in the meanwhile I
thought
===that placing some extra chlorine or perhaps herbal oil or even cheap
lemon
===detergent into the pond to discourage mossie breeding.
===
===If I may bother you denizens for some commentary on my actions, I'd
===apprecate it.
===
===Cheers,
===