Old 12-03-2005, 09:47 PM
Antipodean Bucket Farmer

In article
.com
, says...
Hi,

I am in Northern California and the weather is so beautiful so I
thought of growing some tomato and herbs in containers as I live in an
apartment.

Be aware that tomatoes like lots of light and heat.

I went to nursery yesterday and there is so many different thymes?
which one should I get? I am concerned about the flavor.

Maybe just be patient, and try a few different types
over a period of time. That was how I settled on my
favourite lettuce (Buttercrunch.) I may very well just
keep doing different tomato varieties each year. Etc,
etc.

How about Bell peppers, Can I grow them in the same container with
herbs or tomatoes? How big they get, How big a container Ineed to grow
peppers?

I strongly suggest planting them alone. I use 10-litre
(2 and a half gal) buckets for those. Maybe a foot and
a half tall for my largest one right now. BTW, I
suggest using a single bamboo stake next to the main
stem, and loosely tie the plant to it, for stability.

And finally last question! I have got "Sweet 100" and "Early girl"
tomatoes so far. I want to get 2-3 more. What do you recommend? I am
looking for high yeild and long season bearing.

There might be more specific advice if you say exactly
how much total space you have for all the plants.
Another issue is your light - what direction is your
apartment facing? Do you have a balcony or other
outside area, or is everything indoors?

Also, patience is very important with any fruiting type
vegetable. Lettuce can yield fairly fast (maybe 10
weeks or so - I haven't kept track.) But things like
tomatoes, capsicums (bell peppers), cucumbers, etc,
take many months of care before you can start eating.
For example, my capsicums that I planted in September,
are still working on some small fruits, and similar-
aged tomato plants have had some ripe fruits, but most
are still green.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/