Old 13-03-2005, 04:03 AM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 13:47:07 -0800, Antipodean Bucket Farmer
wrote:

In article
s.com
, says...
Hi,

I am in Northern California and the weather is so beautiful so I
thought of growing some tomato and herbs in containers as I live in an
apartment.

Be aware that tomatoes like lots of light and heat.

Actually, they don't like really hot weather. Around here, the
tomatoes slow down or stop setting fruit when the temperatures
stay above 80 F during the night and in the upper 90's during
the day. Some varieties are more heat tolerant than others, but
too much heat can be as bad for tomatoes as too much cold.

Also, patience is very important with any fruiting type
vegetable. Lettuce can yield fairly fast (maybe 10
weeks or so - I haven't kept track.) But things like
tomatoes, capsicums (bell peppers), cucumbers, etc,
take many months of care before you can start eating.
For example, my capsicums that I planted in September,
are still working on some small fruits, and similar-
aged tomato plants have had some ripe fruits, but most
are still green.

Most of the tomato or pepper varieties I look at here in the
States at the very least list whether they're long, short, or
mid-season. Most give the number of days to first fruit from
when the plant is set out.

And, um, am I counting it right...you're saying that after 6
months you still don't have many ripe peppers or tomatoes?
Those are some _very_ long season varieties! I always plant
some short season varieties; patience may be a virtue, but it's
not one of mine.

Penelope

"ElissaAnn"