Old 13-03-2005, 04:16 AM
Penelope Periwinkle

On 12 Mar 2005 10:33:26 -0800, "tomato lover"
wrote:

I want plant some herbs in the same container as the tomatoes. I don't
know what would be a good match to grow in the same part. I guess Basil
and chives are good choices, But

I need lots of Mint and Basil and French Tarragon, I love them so much
, just eat them raw with my food!

So, I thought grow Mint in one container. French Tarragon in one.

You can grow the mint around the tomatoes or peppers, too.
There's spearmint around the Grenada Seasoning pepper that
I've overwintered the last 2 years, and both plants are thriving.

I don't need that much Oregano, Thyme and chive. So can I grow these
three in the same container where I grow my tomatoes.

Just make sure the tomato doesn't shade them. They like sun.

I went to nursery yesterday and there is so many different thymes?
which one should I get? I am concerned about the falvor.

Brush the leaves with your fingers, then sniff. Take the ones
that smell especially good to you.

How about Bell peppers, Can I grow them in the same container with
herbs or tomatoes? How big they get, How big a container Ineed to grow
peppers?

It depends on the variety, some get bigger than others. Buran is
a nice container bell, it's on the small side, but very
productive. You could probably grow one of them in a gallon pot.
Lemon Drop peppers are a nice container chili pepper, but they'll
want a larger pot, probably at least 3 gallons.

And finally last question! I have got "Sweet 100" and "Early girl"
tomatoes so far. I want to get 2-3 more. What do you recommend? I am
looking for high yeild and long season bearing.

Consider Russian Silvery Fur Tree tomatoes. It works well in
containers, and produces lots and lots of medium/small tomatoes.
Plus the foliage is more ornamental than most tomatoes. Current
tomatoes are nice, too. I've grown them in hanging baskets
before.

Good Luck!

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"