Old 13-03-2005, 09:38 AM
Jim Lesurf

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In article , Jim Lesurf jcgl@st-
and.demon.co.uk writes

The instructions on the packs all tend to say germination times up to
some months. Is it correct that it should be OK to keep the seeds in
their pots/trays in a 'sealed' plastic bag for that long?

Not if the plastic bag is not clear - some seeds are likely to germinate
earlier, and they'd need light. There's also more chance of damping off
if you leave them in sealed conditions.

The bags I have in mind are large 'sandwich' or 'freezer' bags from Tesco.
They seem fairly clear, so will these be OK? My plan is to either use ones
with a resealable opening or wind the opening together and hold with a
tie-wrap.

When I'm not using a heated propagator I cover the "trays" (recycled
plastic ice-cream cartons) with clingfilm. Then one can see when the
plant have germinated.

I've noticed suggestions to use cling film. However I wasn't confident this
would continue to grip and remain sealed for a number of weeks when in the
presence of damp contents. Is it reliable? The Pontentilla and some of the
other seeds specify germination times of 1-3 *months* so I am concerned
that this may be a long time for the bag or film to contain the
air/moisture.

I'm also planning to use some old ice-cream cartons as the outer 'trays' to
hold a few of the 'peat pots' in bags. :-) However I am hoping the linked
sets of 12 square pots I am starting with will be OK without the ice cream
box. I'll know better once they are filled with compost and soaked. :-)

Slainte,

Jim

Audio Misc http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/AudioMisc/index.html
Armstrong Audio http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/Audio/armstrong.html