Old 13-03-2005, 08:06 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

We discovered the rats had got into our black bin type composter by
burrowing under, but the monkeys had eaten all the worms and left the veg
peelings!! I suspect yours are not living in it at this time of year but
just visiting for "lunch" once you cut of the food supply they will go
elsewhere.

Cripes. I knew that you were warmer than Cambridge, but I didn't
know that you had feral monkeys.

Anyway, don't worry about the meat/egg/vegetable content unless it
happens to work for you. Rats will eat anything, and are attracted
as much by the worms as anything, and any serious heap has worms.
In my case, I chuck on all meat residue and it has no attactive
effect whatsoever.

The thing that does make the difference is turning the heap over, as
rats don't like the disturbance. Otherwise, get a rat man in to
poison them (our WONDERFUL government will no longer allow effective
rat poisons to be sold to the peasantry).

If you can tell the difference between our politicians, bureaucrats
and rats, you are clearly a skilled taxonomist.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.