Old 13-03-2005, 03:25 PM
Derek Broughton

Reel McKoi wrote:

"Wylie Wilde" wrote in message
Hello,

I just moved into a tropical bungalow which has a shallow indoor pond.
Its new but hasn't been used for several years. I switched it on over the
weekend and its seems ok. But the water flow is dead slow at the end of

the
pond. And I'm worried about it breeding mossies. there might also be some
problem with it. I'm hoping that some of you here who are more

knowledgable
about it can help me and offer some constructive advice.

It seems too shallow to keep a few fish to control the mossies. However
you can always try a few rosy reds or even guppies since it's a tropical
area.
If that's not what you want then get Mosquito Dunks. They would be the
least work.

I had an outdoor lotus tub which developed goldfish accidentally (eggs must
have been transferred on plants from the main pond). When I emptied it out
for the winter (the lotus was kept at the bottom of the main pond) I found
a 6", extremely healthy, goldfish, who had lived his whole life in never
more than 3" of water (and often less). So, if he's got 200 sq.ft. of
pond, even just 4-6" deep, I'd say go with goldfish.
--
derek