Old 14-03-2005, 02:16 AM
Steve

joe f. wrote:

Can anyone tell me or direct me to a web site--what is a jointed
tomato? Some seed catalogs list tomatos as jointed or jointless.

Jointed (or not jointed) refers to the little stem that attaches the
tomato to the plant. Most tomatoes are jointed. When you pick them, the
joint breaks leaving a short stem attached to the tomato.
Jointless tomatoes were bred for commercial growers. If there is no
joint, the stem pulls out of the tomato when it is picked. This is
desirable for shipping because if a stem is attached, it can poke holes
in the other tomatoes it touches.

Steve