Old 14-03-2005, 10:00 AM
Des Higgins

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Stan The Man contains these words:

In article , VivienB
wrote:

What a picky lot you are! I am listening to *what* they are telling
me, so I can try to judge whether it is likely to be useful. So long
as they speak clearly, what does the timbre (or whatever it is you
object to) matter? I would much prefer either of these women telling
me something that I can use, to the decorative and pretty-voiced ones
going on about something valueless.

It matters to the BBC, and every other programme maker because
gardening programmes aren't Open University courses

Neither are sports programmes

but
lifestyle/entertainment shows which, while educating some of us will
entertain others who may be less committed gardeners, casual viewers,
etc. So these days, someone who looks and sounds good will get the
presenting job over someone who may be more knowledgeable.

Why does this not apply to sports programmes?

Of the two
attributes, voice is more important than looks (snip)

Now, who have I forgotten...?

Try sports presenters. Have you ever known one picked for looks/voice
over proven expertise?

Craig Doyle to mention one lately. BBC use him to front all manner of
major ratings events like Rugby internationals and big soccer games. His
only qualifications that I am aware of are his looks, his Irish accent (de
rigeur these days on UK TV astonishingly) and the fact that he used to do
one of the Holiday Programmes.

Why should garden programmes have to endure
presenters whose experience/expertise is so inferior to the average
sports presenter?

Given the market forces at play, it is inevitable. Brilliant but boring
will lose out to dim but vivacious every time.
Most experts sound tedious to most people. You may know the difference but
most viewers will not.
This was why Magnus Pyke was the fact of British science for years rather
than Professor Smith from the Physiology Department in Bradford.

To be honest, garden programmes are pretty well stocked (ho ho) with people
who do know what they are talking about.
Helen Dillon is the best example I know of (Janet Tweedy mentioned her)
although you deprived lot have probably not seen her on TV (she fronted an
Irish TV show a couple of years ago). Who do you hate the most?

Janet