Old 14-03-2005, 01:00 PM
Kay

In article , Jim Lesurf jcgl@st-
and.demon.co.uk writes

The bags I have in mind are large 'sandwich' or 'freezer' bags from Tesco.
They seem fairly clear, so will these be OK? My plan is to either use ones
with a resealable opening or wind the opening together and hold with a
tie-wrap.

I do this, and it enables you easily to add water if necessary. If you
have a big enough bag, you can open the top after germination and let
the seedlings get used to the new environment gradually before removing
the bag completely

When I'm not using a heated propagator I cover the "trays" (recycled
plastic ice-cream cartons) with clingfilm. Then one can see when the
plant have germinated.

I've noticed suggestions to use cling film. However I wasn't confident this
would continue to grip and remain sealed for a number of weeks when in the
presence of damp contents. Is it reliable? The Pontentilla and some of the
other seeds specify germination times of 1-3 *months* so I am concerned
that this may be a long time for the bag or film to contain the
air/moisture.

Use a big piece of cling film, and even wen it finally loses its stick
you can still wrap it around the pot or tray and tuck it in underneath.

--
Kay