Old 14-03-2005, 04:24 PM
Hal

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 20:04:56 -0600, "junkyardcat"
wrote:

I bought some cherry red lantana last year and planted it. It was really
beautiful and the butterflies loved it. Now I'm having doubts as to whether
it will come out again this Spring or Summer, or did the Winter temperatures
kill it? It just looks like a bunch of dead sticks to me right now. Will new
growth come out on the old wood, or do I need to cut it to the ground...or
just buy more and start over? Same question about my Plumbago...does it
come back every year?

Thanks!
Angie

Most of the dead lantana sticks will need to be removed. I cut mine
back during winter, some wait until the plant sends out shoots so they
can see what is dead and what is dormant.

I have a Dallas Red and another red of unknown variety of lantana, but
both are a bit slow coming out in the spring for me in Zone 8.
(Middle Georgia)
If the red doesn't come back try replacing it with Miss Huff, but be
warned mine grows about 8 to 10 feet every year and cutting back the
brush in the spring can be a chore. The butterflies won't mind the
difference in color.

Regards,

Hal