Old 14-03-2005, 04:40 PM
paghat

In article , "Jim" wrote:

I have recently cleared a hill in my yard. It's too steep for a lawn mower
so I want to plant a ground cover. Does anyone have any suggesstions for a
nice ground cover? I live in the mid-atlantic and the hill is fairly sunny.
The hill is about 20' down and 60' across. Maybe more than one ground
cover?

Thanks,
Jamie

For a short groundcover that almost never needs watering & loves full sun,
sunroses form lovely carpets dense enough that weeds can't get through.
Various cultivars come in every cool color except blue, & even when not
flowering they provide a varied texture because the leaves are varied from
cultivar to cultivar, from grey-blue to shiny green. For a taller
groundcover, rockroses have much the same value, but not in as wide an
array of colors. If you did create a "sea" of short sunroses, its short
height could be broken up at intervals by Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus
syriacus) that come in many colors (the blue one would add the one missing
color to the sunrose array) or an upright species rugosa rose.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html