Old 14-03-2005, 06:15 PM
Warren

SKYlark wrote:
i happen to be on dial-up, sweetums, and if i see a posting that has
an
attachment with .jpg, .mpg, .wav, etc., i DO NOT HAVE TO OPEN IT
UNLESS I
WANT TO!!!!!

So everyone is the same as you?

We had a discussion about off-line newsreading a couple of weeks ago. In
case you missed that one, one of the ways people deal with dial-up is to
automatically download the whole group, and then read it off-line. The
advantage is that you don't tie-up the phone line while you're reading,
and deciding what messages to download.

If someone goes and posts a binary to a non-binary group, it will
automatically be queued-up with the rest of the messages for download.
The options are to either put up with some self-centered person who
doesn't understand that their binary file doesn't belong in a discussion
group, or take the time every, single day to manually choose which
messages to download, and which messages not to download.

In other words just because you've found a way to lessen the impact of
selfish posters that works for you doesn't mean that your method will
work for everyone, or even anyone, else. It's like saying I'm a good
enough driver that I can avoid getting hit by a drunk driver, so why
can't everyone else?

Please don't justify the selfish actions of others by blaming the
victims..

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Your Guide to the Care and Feeding of a Suburban Lawn:
http://www.holzemville.com/community...are/index.html