Old 14-03-2005, 03:03 PM
The Cook

Katra wrote:

In article ,
"Claire Petersky" wrote:

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"Claire Petersky" wrote:

leaves and toss it into sauces and stews. The stalks of both plants I

dry
in the rafters of the garage. Then I put the dried stalks in the

barbecue
when grilling. The smoke of the basil or oregano imparts a smoky herbed
flavor to the foods that are grilled.

ooh I like that idea for grilling! :-)
I've never tried that, thanks!!!

You can do this with the stalks of any of your herbs: sage in particular is
very nice.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

I was just thinking that... ;-)
I have lots of sage, rosemary, thyme, oregano and basil in season.
I often end up with far more herbs in the herb garden than I can cook
with. I think throwing some FRESH herbs on the coals could produce
interesting results?

I'm also growing a Mexican oregano. It's gonna get hyooge so will
provide a lot of growth for meat smoking experiments.

Thanks for the idea! I appreciate it.

Rosemary stems make great skewers.

Which kind of Mexican Oregano are you growing. I have found 2
different kinds but do not know which seeds to order.

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."