Old 14-03-2005, 03:29 PM
Katra

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

Katra wrote:

In article ,
"Claire Petersky" wrote:

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"Claire Petersky" wrote:

leaves and toss it into sauces and stews. The stalks of both plants I
dry
in the rafters of the garage. Then I put the dried stalks in the
barbecue
when grilling. The smoke of the basil or oregano imparts a smoky herbed
flavor to the foods that are grilled.

ooh I like that idea for grilling! :-)
I've never tried that, thanks!!!

You can do this with the stalks of any of your herbs: sage in particular is
very nice.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

I was just thinking that... ;-)
I have lots of sage, rosemary, thyme, oregano and basil in season.
I often end up with far more herbs in the herb garden than I can cook
with. I think throwing some FRESH herbs on the coals could produce
interesting results?

I'm also growing a Mexican oregano. It's gonna get hyooge so will
provide a lot of growth for meat smoking experiments.

Thanks for the idea! I appreciate it.

Rosemary stems make great skewers.

The chef at work mentioned that to me as well. ;-)
I plan to try it with some chicken or turkey kabobs one of these days!

Which kind of Mexican Oregano are you growing. I have found 2
different kinds but do not know which seeds to order.

Oh dear! I wish I knew! This one bloomed about mid-summer last year and
the blooms lasted thru a good part of the fall. The blooms were trumpet
shaped and about 1 inch long, purple, and very fragrant. Fragrant of
mild Oregano. G It did not come with a species tag.

The Mexican oregano is much milder and sweeter than the Italian oregano
and I'm not too sad that after about 5 years, my old patch of Italian
Oregano is dying off. I won't kiss it sayonara yet as it's still hanging
in there and could come back, but I seldom use the stuff. I prefer the
Mexican plant or Dittany of crete.

I love technology! I went out and snapped a picture with the digicam,
re-sized it with photoshop and uploaded it to webspace for you, all in
about 5 minutes:

http://home.centurytel.net/Katraslin...canOregano.jpg

I think this is the same variety the nursery I bought it from had
growing at their old location before they moved. They grew into large
beautiful and fragrant flowering bushes a good 3 to 4 ft. tall.

I bought this one last summer as a teensy thing in a 4" pot, maybe 8"
tall at most. The fence behind it has a mesh of 4" x 2" so it looks to
be a good 22" tall already and it's not even a year old yet!

I hope the pic and the description helps??? I have already cooked with
leaves and blossoms from this plant and it's delightful!

The herbs to the left of it are a curry plant and some early dill from
seeds left over from last year.

Kat

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada