Old 14-03-2005, 11:28 PM
The Cook

Katra wrote:

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

Katra wrote:

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

Which kind of Mexican Oregano are you growing. I have found 2
different kinds but do not know which seeds to order.

Oh dear! I wish I knew! This one bloomed about mid-summer last year and
the blooms lasted thru a good part of the fall. The blooms were trumpet
shaped and about 1 inch long, purple, and very fragrant. Fragrant of
mild Oregano. G It did not come with a species tag.

The Mexican oregano is much milder and sweeter than the Italian oregano
and I'm not too sad that after about 5 years, my old patch of Italian
Oregano is dying off. I won't kiss it sayonara yet as it's still hanging
in there and could come back, but I seldom use the stuff. I prefer the
Mexican plant or Dittany of crete.

I love technology! I went out and snapped a picture with the digicam,
re-sized it with photoshop and uploaded it to webspace for you, all in
about 5 minutes:

http://home.centurytel.net/Katraslin...canOregano.jpg

I think this is the same variety the nursery I bought it from had
growing at their old location before they moved. They grew into large
beautiful and fragrant flowering bushes a good 3 to 4 ft. tall.

I bought this one last summer as a teensy thing in a 4" pot, maybe 8"
tall at most. The fence behind it has a mesh of 4" x 2" so it looks to
be a good 22" tall already and it's not even a year old yet!

I hope the pic and the description helps??? I have already cooked with
leaves and blossoms from this plant and it's delightful!

The herbs to the left of it are a curry plant and some early dill from
seeds left over from last year.

Kat

http://www.nativesoftexas.com/moregano.html

http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/lipgraveolens.htm

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2587/

The first 2 have pictures. I want some that is edible. I have some
dried I bought a couple of years ago and I imagine that it is about
dead.

Wow. 3 different varieties! :-)

From the pictures, it looks like the first one.

I've eaten this plant a lot and have had no troubles.
I'ts quite tasty and is easier on my stomach and palatte than
my italian oregano!

For a similar flavor that is a bit sweeter but mustier (almost like a
cross between oregano and sage), consider Dittany of Crete. I have 2 of
them going now. Pretty flowers and an attractive, low growing blue green
leaf. They seem to be pretty hardy too! My first one has lasted thru 3
winters now and I planted a new one last fall that is also doing well.

If you are in the hill country near Austin, I get a LOT of my live herbs
from "It's about Thyme" over on Manchaca.

Kat

I haven't lived out that way since about 1973. Lived in San Antonio
and enjoyed it very much. I have a picture of me standing beside a
squash plant in our garden and it is almost as tall as I am (5' 4".)

I now live in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in North
Carolina. Just moved here about a year ago and am finding out what
grows and how.

I think I will see if I can find a Mexican Oregano plant. Or maybe
both varieties.

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."