Old 15-03-2005, 12:36 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

mike wrote:
I've been given a 'ladybird house' for the garden (basically a 1/4
log end with a lot of holes in it)

What is the best sort of location for it - exposed/sheltered,
high/low ?

It came with some 'ladybird food'! - I presume it would be a waste
putting this out until later in the year ?

and if you know any more appropriate places for asking these
questions, I'd be interested to see them !

thanks
mike

I can't help you, Mike, but whilst we're on the topic of encouraging useful
insects, could I ask you to consider purchasing a bumble bee box to go with
it (they're not that expensive)? My grandfather bought three years ago and
it's been occupied ever since. We have lost nearly 50% of the species we had
in this country (I can't remember how many there were to begin with) and, of
the remainder, nearly half are in serious trouble.

I'm not advertising, and I didn't mean to hijack your topic, but I've been
meaning to mention this for a while, just never found the opportunity.