Old 15-03-2005, 09:22 AM
Suzanne D.

"Warren" wrote in message
madgardener wrote:
And just when does posting a JPG of a gardening wonder constitute
being frowned upon?

The following things can happen when a binary is posted in a non-binary
group:

1. Some servers won't even accept the message.

2. People on dial-up, especially those that pay by the minute, may
find themselves paying for crap they didn't want in the first place.

3. Most servers allocate a certain amount of space for each group
based on whether the group is a discussion or binary group. Essentially
everytime someone posts a text message in a text group, an old message
is deleted. When someone posts a binary, a couple hundred old messages
may end up deleted. Not a big deal if there was three or four months
worth of messages there, but a big deal if the server in question only
had about a week's worth of messages. One big picture could delete a lot
of messages that people didn't get a chance to read yet.

4. Binary or HTML posts can sometimes cause older computers to freeze up.
This has happened to me occasionally--I've had to completely turn the
computer off and log on again.

I don't know why the simple netiquette rules should be so hard to follow. A
mistake now and then is expected, but the declarations of being able to do
exactly as one wants, regardless of the rest of the group, escapes me.
--S.