Old 15-03-2005, 03:29 PM
rosie read n' post

do you think that the sunroses would work on a VERY steep hill?
like the cliff i have in my front yard facing the lake?

--
read and post,
rosie

"paghat" wrote in message
news : In article , "Jim"
wrote:
:
: I have recently cleared a hill in my yard. It's too steep for a
lawn mower
: so I want to plant a ground cover. Does anyone have any
suggesstions for a
: nice ground cover? I live in the mid-atlantic and the hill is
fairly sunny.
: The hill is about 20' down and 60' across. Maybe more than one
ground
: cover?
:
: Thanks,
: Jamie
:
: For a short groundcover that almost never needs watering & loves
full sun,
: sunroses form lovely carpets dense enough that weeds can't get
through.
: Various cultivars come in every cool color except blue, & even
when not
: flowering they provide a varied texture because the leaves are
varied from
: cultivar to cultivar, from grey-blue to shiny green. For a taller
: groundcover, rockroses have much the same value, but not in as
wide an
: array of colors. If you did create a "sea" of short sunroses, its
short
: height could be broken up at intervals by Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus
: syriacus) that come in many colors (the blue one would add the one
missing
: color to the sunrose array) or an upright species rugosa rose.
:
: -paghat the ratgirl
: --
: Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
: http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
: "History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden
: people maintaining a free civil government." -Thomas Jefferson