Old 15-03-2005, 03:42 PM
David

"JennyC" wrote in message
I'd not prune them at all !
Though I suppose it might make it bush out. They don't grow very quickly

though,
so I'd wait a year or two.
Sorry - no idea about the rust.
Jenny

"Eyebright" wrote in message

in my opinion........i'd throw the advice lable away and go with your
own instincts or the opinions of a reputable garden writer.

the " rust " is more likely to be merely old leaves showing their
age...gather them from the soil surface once they fall if you feel
like.

with very young shrubs it can be worth preserving energy by not
allowing fruits to mature so you could remove those if you want.

--
Eyebright

Hi, thanks to you both for your replies. My intention is to allow my Mahonia
to "bush" out as much as possible, albeit at the moment it is a young
shrub. I see that there are a few treatments available for rust at my local
garden centre, if it persists then I may be forced into taking action,

thanks again

David