Old 15-03-2005, 09:57 PM
Warren

Doug Kanter wrote:
If you feel you need to water during the summer, do it late in the
day,

I agree with what you say, except this.

If you water during the day, a lot of water is lost to evaporation. Some
won't even hit the grass before it evaporates. So you want to water when
the sun is down (and the wind is calm), but if you do it in the evening,
the blades of grass can stay wet all night, and invite fungal problems.

If you water at (or just before) dawn, you lessen the amount you loose
to evaporation before it even hits the ground. You'll loose some water
to evaporation - the water that never got to the ground, but remained on
the blades - when the sun comes up. You'll have less opportunity for
fungal problems. Remember, you really want to water the soil the grass
is growing in, not the blades themselves.

There's a link to my recently posted essay on lawn care in my signature.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Your Guide to the Care and Feeding of a Suburban Lawn:
http://www.holzemville.com/community...are/index.html