Old 16-03-2005, 02:52 AM
Timothy

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 19:12:33 -0500, Neil wrote:

Hello All:

Just moved into a house after living in an apartment all my life. The lawn
is Bermuda and the total yard is about 4000 sq. ft. It is time to purchase
a lawnmover but the types/models options are sooooooo confusing. I have
never used a lawnmower before.

The neighbor suggested not buying a Rotary mower (because of the Bermuda
grass) but instead going for a reel mower or a high end rotary mower (not
as good though in comparison). I have also been told that Rotary mowers
are the more popular ones used by homeowners. I don't want to get a riding
mower because of lack of storage space.

I have narrowed it down to 2 new Year 2005 self-propelled models: the
Honda HRX and the Toro SR4 20056 (Super Recycler). Both models will bag,
mulch, and side discharge, have a 6.5HP engine and the usual features such
as

Personally I don't mind paying a little more upfront for the machine but
would like it to be sure I get the best one that offers lowest maintenance
in the long run.

Any advice on:
1) reel vs. rotary mowers, and
2) deciding between these two models listed above for Bermuda lawn will be
appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Neil

Good day Neil. I'd doubt that the Bermuda grass will care what it's mowed
by. I say 'doubt' because I don't deal with warm weather grass. Most all
types of grass will look better if mowed with a reel mower, but reel
mowers have some major draw backs imho.

The mower of Zen. This is what I call reel mowers. The soft clipping
sounds, the clippings flying through the air... ahhh, makes ya like
mowing. Then your Zen get's crushed by a pine cone, stick, pebble..etc.
Hopefully you'll only need to remove the offending object, but chances are
you'll be sharpening your blade. Worst case you bent the drum (reel).

Other draw backs of the reel mower are the fact that they work best on
a flat lawn. Lawns with lumps or holes really gum up things real quick.
The other issue is that you have to stay on top of the mowing. If you let
the lawn get long, mowing is a real time consuming pain.

With all that said, 4,000 sq ft isn't too bad to cut with a reel mower...
if that would be something you like to do for enjoyment. Otherwise I would
suggest that you look in to a powered mower. A powered reel mower can be
very cost prohibitive. So on to the rotary mowers.

Toro SR4
This is a rather good machine, but it's not a real toro. I know, I know...
toro sells it, toro's name is on it... but at the end of the day it's a
lawnboy painted red. Yes I know, lawnboy is owned by toro.. yadda, yadda.
The brigs engine is just a bit better than a Tecumsum, which I personaly
can't stand. This mower is just a collection of parts made from other
manufacturers and assembled by toro. With all that said... at least it's
not a mdt.

Honda HRX
I personally love these mowers. I know of many commercial lawn jockeys who
use these in the field. I was going to buy the HRX217HXA , but it doesn't
have a long enough testing period for my liking and the 90 commercial
warranty just doesn't do it. I went with the HRC215SXA instead. The honda
motor just can't be beat, they multch really well and they have to be just
about the best bagging mowers on the market.

Good luck.

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com