Old 16-03-2005, 04:11 AM
Dandelion Acres

Well Neil, it looks like the jury is back: Reels are the Way To Go.

Now have I got an offer for you.....

How about a Ransomes Sportcutter 7? I'll give you a "reel" fair deal on it,
it'll get your mowing done in a jiffy! 15, yes FIFTEEN foot cutting width,
seven hydraulic motors spinning the reels powered from a 3-impeller PTO pump
and hydraulic control of the wings so you can scoot around those "tight"
spots. I suppose if you really need it I'll sell you the tractor it was
mounted on, but then I have to get a new tractor.....

And while that's a kind of a joke for his 4000', if it suits YOU reader then
drop me a line...

"Neil" wrote in message

Hello All:

Just moved into a house after living in an apartment all my life. The
lawn is Bermuda and the total yard is about 4000 sq. ft. It is time to
purchase a lawnmover but the types/models options are sooooooo
confusing. I have never used a lawnmower before.

The neighbor suggested not buying a Rotary mower (because of the
Bermuda grass) but instead going for a reel mower or a high end rotary
mower (not as good though in comparison). I have also been told that
Rotary mowers are the more popular ones used by homeowners. I don't
want to get a riding mower because of lack of storage space.

I have narrowed it down to 2 new Year 2005 self-propelled models: the
Honda HRX and the Toro SR4 20056 (Super Recycler). Both models will
bag, mulch, and side discharge, have a 6.5HP engine and the usual
features such as

Personally I don't mind paying a little more upfront for the machine
but would like it to be sure I get the best one that offers lowest
maintenance in the long run.

Any advice on:
1) reel vs. rotary mowers, and
2) deciding between these two models listed above for Bermuda lawn
will be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Neil