Old 16-03-2005, 12:48 AM

Hi Kathy,

Property is property. A $5.00 koi to you might be a $1,000 koi
to someone else. Many wildlife laws have provisions to kill animals if
they are destroying private property. For instance I routinely use the
provision in the hunting code to allow me to trap animals that are
causing damage in my wildlife reserve. Usually the only provision is
that you cannot keep the animal's body. For instance I can't catch mink
out of season and make a coat out of them. They are either turned over
to the game commission or thrown out.

While I try to keep animals alive and use deterrents whenever
possible if they are destroying things there comes a point where they
must be destroyed.

Sam

kathy wrote:
Hi Sam,
I always thought this was available only to persons who
suffer significant economic loss, like fish farmers.

That said, I went and read the permit and it does say you
have to really have tried nonlethal means and you have to
continue nonlethal means.

So then I called the number and left a message (past working
hours in Denver) and asked specifically about backyard ponds
and koi keeping.
Also wondering what kind of lethal means would be available to
your average suburban pond owner?

Should be interesting what I hear back!

kathy :-)