Old 16-03-2005, 10:40 AM
Spider

Kay wrote in message
In article , Miss
Perspicacia Tick writes

I can't help you, Mike, but whilst we're on the topic of encouraging

useful
insects, could I ask you to consider purchasing a bumble bee box to go

with
it (they're not that expensive)? My grandfather bought three years ago

and
it's been occupied ever since. We have lost nearly 50% of the species we

had
in this country (I can't remember how many there were to begin with) and,

of
the remainder, nearly half are in serious trouble.

Why are they in trouble? Is it because of lack of nesting places? I
think that's the reason behind the decline of some of the bees that
burrow into dry bare earthy places. But if it's for some other reason
that they're declining, a bumble bee box isn't necessarily going to
help, although encouraging them to your own garden rather than somewhere
else is always nice :-)

Not trying to be discouraging, just asking as it's something I don't
know much about.
--
Kay

Hi Kay,

I don't know the whole story, but there is certainly a foreign, and larger,
ladybird attacking ours. Have a google for the DEFRA website as I believe
this bug is reportable.
Also, there are still a lot of gardeners and farmers out there who are
intent on spraying.

Spider