Old 16-03-2005, 01:59 PM
Gale Pearce

Live in San Diego. Had a pond installed last September. About a 3
foot rise waterfall into a pond of about 800-1000 gallons. Installed
by local contractor. Gave us Koi (6) and some water lillies plus
"Aquascape Designs String Algea Buster (SAB)" and "Aquascape Design
Aquaclear"

Followed all directions rigorously in respect to bacteria, cleaning,
etc. But as you may have heard, southern california had more rain than
we have had in the last 100 years. So a fair amount of run off into
the pond and outright rain. Had to pump out water on numerous
occasions and other times simply let it overflow in to landscape.

With warmer weather planted some more lilles and some marginals.
Lillies going well. I have about 10-15% surface area covered and more
pads every day. I do not have any "bottom plants" but strongly
considering adding them.

HOWEVER, I have a serious string and single cell (green water) algae
problem that is driving me to frustration.

Been spiking (triple the dose every day) my pond with both "clear"
bacteria and SAB. Hand cleaning out every day the string algae that is
easy to get out and actually pulling some off from individual rocks.

But not sure it is helping! Or at least I can not noticeably see a
difference. Is my only hope to drain the pond and start over? Should
I have patience with the product I am using? Should I try something
different (there seem to be a huge number of different concoctions out
there - any objective reviews?)

Patience is the single, most important thing with a new pond - it takes
literally months for it to completely settle down, but you are on the right
track with the bacteria supplements you are using and trying to get as much
shade as possible on the water surface with lily-pads - ~70% would be best.
There is no use tripling the bacteria as it will only "spike" the bacteria
level in your pond and filter up to a certain point, depending on 02 levels
in your pond water. Also don't clean out your filter as it needs the
bacteria to build up in it for it to work biologically (without being said,
your filter is running 24/7, right?)
As your lilies spread, your string algae will abate and as the bacteria in
your filter grows and catches up with the nutrients in your pond feeding the
suspended algae, your water will clear
Good luck Gale :~)