Old 16-03-2005, 06:26 PM
small fish

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"kathy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Sam,

A $1,000 koi I can understand! Though if I was putting
a $1,000 koi outside I'd design something pretty dang
safe before ever letting a heron draw a bead on it. But
most of us had no idea herons even existed until we
put in our ponds.

And I have no problem with animals that you describe.
I'm just really interested in what they'll say about my
feeder fish and $5.99 koi in my backyard.

I had a heron pay me a visit last week. Huge
bird. The watergardening labradors alerted me to his
visit and when I opened the slider he flew away. What
a treat! He hasn't come back that I know of as the fish
seem to be up on the surface lazing around every
afternoon.

Is it just me or does anyone else find this thread disturbing? We put in
ponds, put in fish and create perfect feeding grounds for local

inhabitants,
and then we want to kill the inhabitants? This reminds me of the "bear
problem" in MD. People are bulldozing forests in Western MD, building

houses
and then complaining about the bears eating their garbage and terrorizing
their peaceful forest side burbs. It's a people problem, not a bear

problem.

Yes, I find it disturbing, as well. I like to encourage all forms of
wildlife, although I'm thankful my dog keeps the raccoons from coming in the
cat door. I have yet to put in the big water garden, and when I do, I'll
probably not put in anything the waterbirds from the lake would view as
food, so they can drop by and I won't feel torn to protect the fishies.