Old 16-03-2005, 06:57 PM
small fish

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"kathy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Sam,

A $1,000 koi I can understand! Though if I was putting
a $1,000 koi outside I'd design something pretty dang
safe before ever letting a heron draw a bead on it. But
most of us had no idea herons even existed until we
put in our ponds.

And I have no problem with animals that you describe.
I'm just really interested in what they'll say about my
feeder fish and $5.99 koi in my backyard.

I had a heron pay me a visit last week. Huge
bird. The watergardening labradors alerted me to his
visit and when I opened the slider he flew away. What
a treat! He hasn't come back that I know of as the fish
seem to be up on the surface lazing around every
afternoon.

Is it just me or does anyone else find this thread disturbing?

More the attitude: If it bothers us, we can/shoud kill it.
Yes, I know there are times when that is necessary, but
I'm guessing "convenience" or "protect my perfect
surburban lawn" is the reason a heckuva lot more
often than protect the crops that feed my family.

We put in
ponds, put in fish and create perfect feeding grounds for local
inhabitants,
and then we want to kill the inhabitants?

I would kill to get a crane or heron stop by! Of course,
I only have minnows and goldfish (and frogs and toads)
in my ponds, and they have places to hide (PVC pipe,
plastic crates, vegetation), so even if my entire stock
got eaten, it wouldn't be a tragedy.

I would feel bad, even for goldfish since they react to human presence,
should they become a snack. Do you think your fish are protected enough with
the hiding places you've provided?