Old 16-03-2005, 04:21 PM
david taylor

Default heathers and lavender

We have just cleared several larger juniper bushes from a 1 in 6 south facing bank.
I propose to replace with heather and dwarf conifers including juniper in a bed about 20ft square.
My wife would like to include lavender.
Are heathers and lavender incompatible. I know heathers favour very acid soil and lavender is reported to be lime loving.
I have read that the winter heathers can adapt to local soil conditions.
Any ideas fro mixing the two?
The underlying soil is a micaceous clay pH 6 and there is a heather bed about 10yards away similar location with winter flowereing heathers.