Old 17-03-2005, 12:49 AM
Warwick

In article , says...
Called the Cat and Dog Repelleer, it works off 2 x 9 volt batteries and is a
small and very portable unit and is easy to hide. It is made by STV
International Ltd 2002 at Little Cressingham in Norfolk

I've a fairly sensitive ear and can hear sounds up to 28Khz. I can hear
those things, but only just enough to find them irritating. My sister in
law has several unltra sonic deterrants in her back garden and usually
leaves them all switched even for family parties. Last time we were
down, they'd moved them all to protect new planting and they were
surprised when I went to each and switched them off in spite of thm all
eing out of sight in shrubs.

While you have a cat free garden and I doubt there are many folk in your
area who can hear stuff that high, have you considered the other effects
that a barrage of ultra sonic may be causing? I'd assume that you are
hedgehog free too.

If you consider the volume that a smoke detector can produce from just
one 9v battery, the doubling of power could make that 'inaudible'
deterrent fairly intrusive to the local wildlife. You can't hear it so
you don't know if it is triggering when birds are in range. Is it
blasting out over the local songbirds?

Have you created a no-go zone for more than just the target audience?

Warwick