Old 16-03-2005, 11:23 PM
Kenni Judd

The pseudobulbs ["bulbs"] should make new growths ["shoots"]. They will
eventually "dry up," but this should not happen for _several_ years. You
should have 3-4 "backbulbs" behind every new growth for Catts and Dens, and
1-2 for Oncids. The Zygos, I can't help you with. If you are separating
the new growths without backbulbs, you are setting yourself up for failure.

"fotografer" wrote in message
My guess is that the bulbs will have shoots and then dry up; the shoots,
if properly maintained, will have roots; the shoots, if properly
maintained, will have flowers; the shoots will eventually turned into
bulbs; and the cycle repeats itself. My guess is the roots will die when
the bulb dries up.

If they are just sitting on the bench bareroot [NO medium] then you can
probably water every day without over-watering. Every other day would
probably be enough, though.

Q5: If I just leave the plants without pots,
will it be too much if I water them every day? I have a fan running all
day and a cool mister running during the day keeping the humidity above

50%.
I have a bunch of oncidiums and zygos that are now just bulbs. I took
them out of the pots since they were just rotting. My understanding of
orchids is very limited. Q1: If I just leave them out of the pots and
water them daily, will they survive? They won’t drown for sure out of
the pots.

You should water these. Even if they aren't throwing new roots yet, they
should have some old ones???

Q2: I notice most bulbs have shoots coming out. I suppose they don’t
need water at this stage? Q3: Once the shoots grow bigger, the roots
will start to come out. Do I start to water them then?

Um, well, mostly ... but there are insects [usually thrips] that feed on
roots, also diseases [usually fusarium] that can affect them. Where did you
get these poor things, anyway?
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Q4: Is it fair to
say that roots won’t die unless something is wrong or until the bulbs
are drying up from old age?
I don’t have a green house. All I have is a southwest-facing window.