Old 17-03-2005, 12:53 PM
Doug Kanter

"Russell D." wrote in message
I just got off the phone with a very helpful young man at my local Home
Depot. I was gathering info from him on the prices of redwood, cedar and
composite planking that I want to make grow boxes from. When I mentioned to
him that I was going to make grow boxes he suggested that I use treated
lumber, quickly adding, as if he anticipated my protest, there is no longer
any arsenic used in the treating process and nothing is used that would be
harmful.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this. I'm still a bit hesitant about
using treated lumber for grow boxes for vegetables but it would sure save
a lot of money if I could.

What do you think?

Russell

Definitely NOT treated lumber. You've gotten some good suggestions already.
I'll add another. I made some accesories for my boat (rod holder, etc) using
3/4" birch plywood, and slathering on lots of exterior-grade polyurethane.
These various pieces of "furniture" are constantly exposed to the elements,
but they're holding up very nicely after 5 years. Granted, they're not
exposed to gritty soil and sharp tools like trowels, but if you dinged them
during the growing season, it would take very little work to rinse them out
and slather on a quick touch-up coat of poly. It's the insides that should
take a beating, not so much the outsides.

Just be sure to apply the polyurethane a couple of weeks before use. I don't
care WHAT the containers say about "ready in 24-48 hours". It was at least a
week before I noticed that the smell was completely gone.