Old 16-03-2005, 05:59 PM
Dave

David writes
Amazing, I thought that a ladybird was a ladybird until I read the threads
here and also the Times yesterday where it has made the front page! The
harlequin ladybird aparently originated from Asia but after introduction to
the US and contintental Europe for pest control is now the most common type
there! According to the Times they are slightly larger than most of our
variants and have a white plate just behind the head with a large black
marking in the shape of the letter M. Unfortunately there are a few
harlequin coloured variants which don't fit in with this id! See the link
referred to by Kay. Here in my garden in SEast Scotland I have noticed a few
ladybirds starting to stir again, but now armed with my new knowledge I will
be checking them over carefully!
Anybody sighted them further up the country, yet?

Saw my first one today, seven spot with quite dark red, in the growing
tip of an aucuba, but only the one.
--
David
Ist of the chilterns on Herts/Beds/Cambs borders