Old 17-03-2005, 07:20 PM
Adam Schneider

Back in January, I wrote:

All around the front of our house -- under the arbor vitae, the
rhododendrons, the Japanese maple, the hydrangea, and elsewhere --
there are plants coming up. They look like they're some kind of bulbs,
because of the shape of the leaves, the depth underground from which
they come (I dug down 8 inches with a trowel and couldn't find the
roots), and the fact that there was no trace of them late last summer,
and some of them are growing in places that will be 100% shaded once
the Japanese maple's leaves come in.

An update, if anyone cares: it turns out they're Spanish Bluebells.
Give yourself a pat on the back if that was your guess.

http://adamschneider.net/misc/mysterybulb.html#update

They sure do take up a lot of space, but I'm not too bothered, as our
front "yard" is just covered in bark mulch anyway. If they interfere
with our new Star Magnolia or Mexican Oranges, though, I'll start
kicking some bluebell butt.

Adam