Old 18-03-2005, 12:23 AM
Phisherman

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 17:37:44 -0500, Jeana wrote:

Someone is telling me they're going to start a raised bed veggie garden
with a load of compost. Not digging it in, just planting in compost.
When I said, get a soil test first, and you need to dig the compost in
etc..., he said I was wrong. I don't mind being wrong, but am I missing
something here with what he's doing?

Thanks, Jeana

I can't see where anyone is "wrong." Good compost alone has much
what's needed to make plants grow, but some plants will grow better,
have minerals available and have better support when the compost is
tilled into the ground. There are different kinds of compost--some
made entirely from animal manure, some from decayed vegetation matter.
Take a look at his garden mid-summer and let us know?