Old 18-03-2005, 01:19 AM
Warren

Ima Googler wrote:
Another question from the group newbie...

Last year I purchased a shredder/vac/blower and shredded up all of our
leaves and put a nice thick layer on my flower beds. I've got
probably 4 inches or so on top of my main garden and I'm wondering if
thats too much. The garden includes mainly hosta, heuchera and a few
other shade perennials. I moved some of the mulched leaves out of
the way today and it seemed pretty damp underneath, we've had lots of
rain lately. Will this be a problem, is it too think or should I
just leave the mulch as is? I'm hoping it will be ok and it can serve
as a weed barrier.

I put about 6" on my vegetable garden each fall. I spread some bloodmeal on top
of that, and then put a tarp over it. When a warm, dry week of spring comes, I
pull off the tarp, and till it under. By the time I plant my tomato transplants
in May, I have a very loamy and fertile soil.

I couldn't imagine leaving that thick as mulch. It's not very attractive. And as
it settles when it gets wet, it would cut off any oxygen supply to something
growing there. I suppose if you fluff it up often enough that could be overcome,
but that sounds like a lot of work when the layer is that thick. If you have to
dig instead of rake to fluff it, it seems to me that it's a bit too much.

Leaf mould, and even shredded leaves, IMHO, make a great soil amendment. But I
think there are better things to use as mulch.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Your Guide to the Care and Feeding of a Suburban Lawn:
http://www.holzemville.com/community...are/index.html