Old 17-03-2005, 01:49 PM
J Fortuna

Sue,
Thanks. I sent the info along to my mother in law. Though I would be
surprised if that's it, since she has been into orchids for only 2 years,
and she is really into repotting, so I would be surprised if there is a
single orchid there that has not been repotted fairly recently. But maybe I
am wrong on that. I will see what she responds. I also sent her info on how
to make a solution with water, soap and rubbing alcohol, since from what I
have read that works against many insect pests.
Joanna

"Susan Erickson" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 02:12:47 GMT, "J Fortuna"
wrote:

My mother-in-law reports that one of her grandsons, a 2-year-old nephew

of
mine, today decided to all of a sudden "repot" one of her orchids. As far

as
I understand not much happened to the orchid, but in the process two

fruit
flies were observed flying out of the medium. Apparently my mother-in-law
has been experiencing quite a few fruit flies lately (she live in
Wisconsin), and now she suspects that the orchids are or at least may be
infested with them.

Do you have any experience with fruit flies in orchid medium? And if so,
what should one do about them?

Thanks!

Joanna

They are fungus gnats and prove she needs to repot her pant. The
medium has broken down to the rot stage. It should also smell
bad, but she probably has not sniffed it.

SuE