Old 18-03-2005, 04:02 AM
Bob Walsh

I have a sundew plant. Got it at Home Depot.

I find the 'dew' dries up due to low humidity even when it isn't low (70).
To counter that I set a 4'' plastic plant tray inside a cut off gallon apple
juice jug (cut at the point that it starts to round up to the top). Then I
set the sundew in the tray and keep water in the tray. To further keep the
humidity high I take a bag from the prepackaged grapes and put it over the
top. The fungus knats go in thru the holes in the grape bag. My sundew is
adequetly fed by the gnats caught. Do not fertilize the sundew.

I have a couple other carnivorous plants in the orchid area. One is a
Nepenthes also from Home Depot and the other is a Sarracenia bought from J &
K Orchids at a MN Orchid Society Meeting.
Orchids Limited also has Carnivores.

Bob

"Byron" wrote in message
oups.com...
You can drown the nats. Wait till your orchids are ready for their next
watering, then emerse each pot to the rim in plain water. Keep it
submerged for 15 minutes. It kills the larva but won't damage the
orchid.

You can also get a Sun Dew plant, a carnivourous plant with sticky
hairs on the leaves that capture the flying nats. It won't kill them
all, but reduces the problem significantly.

J Fortuna wrote:
My mother-in-law reports that one of her grandsons, a 2-year-old

nephew of
mine, today decided to all of a sudden "repot" one of her orchids. As

far as
I understand not much happened to the orchid, but in the process two

fruit
flies were observed flying out of the medium. Apparently my

mother-in-law
has been experiencing quite a few fruit flies lately (she live in
Wisconsin), and now she suspects that the orchids are or at least may

be
infested with them.

Do you have any experience with fruit flies in orchid medium? And if

so,
what should one do about them?

Thanks!

Joanna