Old 18-03-2005, 04:57 AM
Tom Sherwood

Default Gnarly bud unions

some of my hybrid teas are 15-20 years old. their bud unions have become
very large and gnarly, and much of them is dead wood. some have caves and
tunnels in them. (one filled with a little dirt and grass started growing in
it; cute.) i have tried sawing away the dead wood, but there are problems,
such as ugly looking squared-off dead wood, not being able to get down to
living union, multiple hand punctures and cutting my drip line!
what i want to know, is: how do you all deal with these big, old, dead bud
unions.
i suppose that by removeing the dead wood and getting down to living tissue
will allow new basal breaks.