Old 18-03-2005, 09:21 AM
Mike

Vehicular access is not legally permitted on public footpaths.
If the Electricity Board have vehicular access to it, the path will be a
private carriageway for their own use only.

No, it is a Public Footpath, but because of this dispute, I believe that
plans are in motion for them to have access via another way (through the car
park of some flats) so that a fixed barrier can be put in place on the
footpath.

Statutory widths of Public Rights of Way unless otherwise recorded a
Footpath: 1 metre across a field; 1.5 metres at field edge.
Bridleway: 2 metres across a field; 3 metres at field edge.
Other Rights of Way: 3 metres across a field; 5 metres at field edge.

So this '3 metre' thing is about :-)

At the time of the 1770s Inclosures Act, foot roads were 'awarded' 60
feet wide between their hedges, but laws have changed since then.

Your 'someone' would do well to seek legal advice.

I think that it has gone to Court, but not sure.
As a Councillor my hands are tied as to what I can do, but I will not be
standing for re-election and can fight this as an individual for the people
involved. As a councillor I cannot write a threatening letter, as a citizen
I can :-))

Thanks Alan & Joan, you have been a great help.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Mike - Isle of Wight :-)