Old 18-03-2005, 04:21 PM
Geo Geo is offline
Registered User

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.
This is my first experience of usenet so its a bit strange but I`ve had dealings with trolls before

What am i going to grow? well anything that will grow in the conditions i guess. That will be an ongoing experiment through all seasons.

Am i 21? i wish!
you can double that figure at least.
My football poster days are well and truly over i think.

The greenhouse is a geodesic dome, 14ft in diameter and has about 140 sq ft floor area, a very strong and energy efficient shape.

It`s not finished yet due to the weather and family stuff but hopefully i`ll have it done before the decent weather arrives..i`m not in any great rush.

I plan to use 2/5 of it as a fish room (seperated and well insulated) with 1000 gals of water (mostly rainwater) to house my catfish.
The greenhouse part will be the 3/5 facing south with just over 160 sq ft of glazing.
The fish will provide the organic nutrients and irrigation for the greenhouse side.The plants will take out the nitrates and clean the water for the fish.

Technically it`s called aquaponic but mother nature would call it growing in gravel next to a heavily stocked river

A bonus of the water is it provides thermal mass which reduces summer temperature swings and should save some heating costs in winter.

So thats the plan, a bit unusual granted.. but it will be fun to see what happens.

Regards Geo